Main Forum

Girls Night In! [TWIT] events

6 replies
Verene a
221 posts
+8 votes
Admins
Leader
AJ and I have an idea, and after some discussion with the guild leadership as a whole, we've decided that we're going to go ahead with some Girls Night events, for the ladies of [TWIT]!

While we don't have the first event planned out quite yet, these will likely be monthly things that we do. It'll be something like doing dungeon runs, leveling alts together, doing DEs, and the like. Things that we can do in-game together.

These will be for women only. This is not the exclude the guys - the vast majority of what we do with the guild will still be open to everyone, and we always have a lot of people on! However, it is not always easy being a woman in such a hobby. This is a way for us to have a safe place for just ourselves, where we can relax, be ourselves, talk about things that we're not necessarily comfortable with doing so around guys, and just have fun. This is also open to ALL women that play GW2 - you do not have to be a member of [TWIT] to participate! (and of course, guild membership is always open to anyone who'd like to join!)

Related to this, I have created a new, passworded vent channel that is only for the women of the guild. It is not solely for these events; it is going to be a permanent part of the vent server and will always be there if someone needs some space to get away and just talk. If you want the password for it, simply contact myself or AJ.

More info on the first event will be coming soon - so keep an eye out! Any questions that you have may be posted in this thread.
f0c08098e76bf1a4.png
Posted Jan 28, 13 · OP
0  votes
151 posts
+9 votes
Admins
Leader
We'd love for this to be a big thing to really help promote women gamers in the GW2 community, so ladies, tell your friends! We'll set a date soon! If this does well on the NA servers, we can start doing it on the EU servers too! Thanks all you awesome ladies!
bc40dbcd684e96ae-s.jpg
Posted Jan 28, 13
0  votes
151 posts
+9 votes
Admins
Leader
So we've set a date an time!

The Girl's Night In Event will be Thursday, 2/14 at 6pm central!

Now we do know this is Valentine's Day. We've asked around, and thought about moving it till Friday, but in the end, we're gonna stick with Thursday. If you have plans, no worries! We'll do it again next month!

We're going to participate in open world events so that we don't have to worry about anyone getting left out, so if you can't be on right at the start, don't worry! Just come on vent and we'll direct you to the party!

We'd love to have lots of lady gamers there, so please, tell your friends! All our welcome! Looking forward to seeing all of you lovely ladies there!
bc40dbcd684e96ae-s.jpg
Posted Feb 9, 13
0  votes
Verene a
221 posts
+8 votes
Admins
Leader
Since this has already come up...

Girls Night events are for women only. This is not to be exclusive - rather this is to try and build a space for women to play. Gaming is an industry that is very hostile to women, despite the fact that we make up half of all gamers. Games are rarely marketed for us, and the ones that are aimed towards women tend to just fall on tired-out stereotypes.

The vast majority of gaming communities are extremely male-oriented, and most tend to not be kind to women "invading"...when really all we want to do is play a damn game. And thus, we have to turn to creating our own spaces to play in, until the rest of the gaming community wakes up and realizes that yes, we're going to be playing these games, we have just as much right to be here as anyone else, and we aren't leaving, so get used to it.

And we also know that not all women are comfortable enough in the face of such constant sexism to stand up like that. And that's okay. Everyone handles things differently.

There are also times where we just want to escape and be on our own. To be able to talk about things we wouldn't feel comfortable with when guys are around. To have fun on our own. This is not a bad thing.

AJ and I have high hopes for these events. We're starting small, but we're hoping to build this into something big. But it all revolves around creating a space where women feel safe and welcome while gaming, and it would fall apart immediately if we did not hold to that core.

Guys, 99% of gaming is yours. Let us have our spaces as well. It won't hurt you, we promise.
f0c08098e76bf1a4.png
Posted Feb 9, 13 · OP
0  votes
Verene a
221 posts
+8 votes
Admins
Leader
Also, as stated in our initial post, these events are open to all women. You do not need to be a member of TWIT, just a woman who likes gaming. Similarly the girls night vent channel on the TWIT server is always there and open to any woman that needs or wants it - simply contact myself or AJ for the password.
f0c08098e76bf1a4.png
Posted Feb 9, 13 · OP
0  votes
Juu
2 posts
0 votes
Untagged users
I'll crosspost this to my guild's Facebook page soon! Not sure I'll be able to make it - 8 AM the 15th where I'll be - but I'll try to make future meetups :)
Juu!
Northern Shiverpeaks
[bots] [TWIT]
[TLS] [SCUM]
Posted Feb 12, 13
0  votes
Verene a
221 posts
+8 votes
Admins
Leader
Awesome!

So, for Thursday, we're going to meet in Caledon Forest on Jade Quarry at 6pm CST (4pm PST/7pm EST), at Astorea Waypoint. AJ and I both have characters with commander icons, so look for either Commander Liusaidh (me) or Commander Joey Wolf (AJ), as at least one of us will be on those characters.

From there we'll see about doing our dailies, and then maybe see what else people want to do - I know AJ wants to try and check out and maybe take over the Inquest base in Malchor's Leap. There's also the possibilities of dungeon runs, map completions...whatever people want to do!

The vent server is twitguild.typefrag.com port 10150, and contacting AJ or myself will get you the password for the girls night channel. You don't have to come on vent, but it's there if you want to use it!
f0c08098e76bf1a4.png
Posted Feb 12, 13 · OP
0  votes
Announcement of